IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO BE READ BEFORE ENTERING
Dragnet is a serious event, you MUST be prepared to walk a distance of up to 35 miles in open country, through the night and possibly in poor weather. It is in your own interest to make sure you are well prepared and have the right equipment.
You must be able to check in at Dragnet Base NO LATER THAN 2100 on the Friday night. Please arrange transport to make sure you are here by that time. It is not a good idea to rely on public transport as due to the geographical nature of Cumbria you are unlikely to be able to get a train to anywhere near Dragnet base. Location of base is kept secret so local teams cannot gain an unfair advantage prior to the competition. You will therefore be asked to report to a rendezvous point from which you will be directed to Dragnet Base. Please allow half an hour for this. Base is also the finish point for the competition – this is where teams should be picked up from on Sunday by 2pm.
1. Incomplete teams may take part by forming composite teams. Contact Judith for details.
2. Acknowledgement of entries, essential equipment and other details will not be sent out until after the closing date. Essential equipment also appears on this website.
3. Teams are responsible for their own transport to and from Base Camp, for their equipment and for their own food (except Sunday lunch). Hike tents and spare equipment may be left at base camp in case needed on Saturday night, anything left must be clearly marked. We would ask teams NOT to erect tents on Friday night. You will be off site for the duration of the competition unless you return through being knocked out or injured. Briefing on Friday night will have instructions re what to do if you are unlucky enough to return to base early.
4. There will be prizes for the winning team of 14-17 year olds (Explorer scouts) and of 18-25 year olds (Scout Network), together with certificates and metal badges for all teams that finish
5. There is a limit to the number of teams that enter and applications are dealt strictly in the order they are received. Teams of mixed age groups compete for the 18-25 prizes.
6. There will be pick-up routes running throughout Saturday to collect any returning teams needing transport back to base. These will be clearly marked on your map. Unless you are injured you must make your way to a pick-up route in order to be collected –you must ring base to let them know where you are and why you are dropping out. You may have to wait a number of hours for pick-up as emergencies will take priority. You have essential equipment so please use it to make yourselves comfortable.
LEADERS / SEARCHERS INFORMATION
Leaders may join in as Searchers for part or all of the weekend. If you wish to be part of the Search team please contact Iain or Judith for further information.
Camping is available for leaders etc at base subject to payment of the appropriate fee. Please see Dragnet HQ staff after teams have left for the start.